Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. In a shocking incident, a father accidentally dropped his six-year-old son on burning coal while performing a ritual to appease Goddess Mariyamma during an annual religious fair in Jalandhar, Punjab on Sunday.
2. The father-son duo was severely injured and were rushed to a local hospital, where they are currently undergoing treatment.
3. According to a DNA report, the father was holding his son in his arms as he was walking barefoot on the hot coal. Suddenly, he lost his balance and the child slipped from his hands and fell on the red-hot embers.
4. The festival, which is celebrated in honour of Mariyamma Devi, witnesses around 700 devotees from across the country who come to seek the blessings of the shrine. People walk barefoot on the burning coal to get their wishes fulfilled and the ritual has been in practise since past 75 years.
5. A person has to reportedly fast for seven days before walking on the flaming coals to please the goddess.
Watch the video posted by ANI depicting the devotees walking on fire as part of the ritual
Back to latest news
— ANI (@ANI_news) June 14, 2016