After Salman, Sachin accepts invitation to become India’s Goodwill Ambassador at Rio Olympics
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. India’s cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar, on Tuesday, accepted Indian Olympic Association’s (IOA) offer to become the country’s Goodwill Ambassador for the upcoming Rio Olympics.
2. Tendulkar is the third goodwill ambassador roped in by IOA after Bollywood actor Salman Khan and ace shooter Abhinav Bindra.
3. The IOA had approached Bindra, Tendulkar and Oscar winning music composer AR Rahman after Salman’s appointment created an uproar, with star wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt and sprint legend Milkha Singh questioning the move.
4. However, IOA stood firm on its decision and said that it would rope in more icons to motivate the country’s Olympic contingent ahead of the Games in August.
5. A Khel Ratna recipient, Sachin’s presence is expected to boost the morale of all Indian athletes representing the nation at the prestigious event.