Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The recently concluded Assembly Elections served as a wake up call for the Indian National Congress, given the party’s abysmal performance and losses in West Bengal, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
2. To add to the party’s troubles in recent times, prominent members like Jairam Ramesh, Shashi Tharoor and Digvijay Singh have been pressing for a stronger leadership.
3. In an interview with News18 this week, a top Congress official revealed that Sonia Gandhi will pass on the baton of Congress presidency to Rahul Gandhi at an upcoming Congress Working Committee (CWC) meet.
4. Additionally, the party will also be making several structural reforms through which more young members will be promoted to positions of power while the old members will be asked to take a step back. Moreover, office-bearers of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) will also be reshuffled. These changes will be implemented at the earliest possible given the elections in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab, which will be of key significance to Congress, are approaching closer.
5. Under Sonia Gandhi’s presidency, the INC witnessed several ups and downs. Only time will tell if her departure will take the party to newer heights or help fuel BJP’s plans for a Congress-mukt Bharat.Back to latest news