In a tragic incident, a 14-year-old was electrocuted to death while playing football with his friends in their society compound in Andheri East on Monday evening.
According to an official attached with MIDC police station, the incident took place on Monday evening when Aman Kamra (14), was playing football with two of his friends on the ground of Marol Hill View society in Marol, Andheri East.
In their statement, the friends told the police that the victim was playing bare-foot due as the ground was wet. During the course of the game, Aman slipped while picking up the ball.
To break his fall, the teenager tried to hold on to the iron fencing erected around the ground. However, Aman started screaming as soon as he came in contact with the fence.
His friends realised he had received an electric shock and separated his hand from the fence with the help of a bamboo stick. Upon hearing the commotion, the security guard and other bystanders rushed to the spot.
Aman was rushed to Seven Hills hospital by his parents where he was declared dead on arrival.
“We have written to the electrical department asking them to verify if all the electric connections in the society are proper and safety measures have been followed,” MIDC police station sub-inspector Manoj Bakaygar told PTI.
Earlier, a case of accidental death was registered. However, the family later approached MIDC police with pictures of the ground, which clearly showed exposed wires lying on the ground and in contact with the fence.
Following which, officials registered a case of criminal negligence against the private firm contracted for electric supply in the society. Police will now investigate if the contractor cut any corners while laying down the wiring.
In most cases, circuit breakers are installed in residential buildings which cuts the power supply in case of a leakage.
With PTI inputsView Realtime Updates