Why wasn’t Sachin or Rahman’s selection as Olympics ambassador questioned, asks Salman
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Salman Khan ‘s appointment as the goodwill ambassador of the Indian contingent for the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro had triggered furore early in May.
2. The Olympics committee also faced criticism from eminent sports personalities like Milkha Singh, Dhanraj Pillay and Yogeshwar Dutt who stated that Salman is not suitable for the role as he is not a sportsman and has pending court cases against him. Although Salman’s father Salim Khan had come to his son’s rescue, the actor had refrained from commenting on the controversy.
3. However, while addressing the media recently, the 50-year-old star opened up about the issue and was quoted saying, “Why nobody questioned A.R Rahman and Sachin Tendulkar’s selection as the Games ambassadors. Why didn’t the media give them the same coverage that they gave me? In their case too, while one isn’t a sportsperson, the other has only played one sport.”
4. He further added, “Does Rahman need a state-level certificate or a national-level medal to be called a sportsperson? In fact, all the kids who have tried out certain sports and haven’t won a medal, aren’t sportspersons? All the kids who follow a sportsperson aren’t sportspersons? So why just pick me?”
5. Later, when the ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ star was asked about his impending court cases, he quipped that there are so many politicians who have court cases against them. “I am ready to leave my post as the ambassador if the politicians also leave.” said Salman.