City gets first dedicated bus lane at BKC
Mumbai’s first dedicated bus lane at BKC was thrown open by authorities on Monday. The 3.5-km long corridor between MTNL and Kalanagar Junctions will be exclusively used by BEST buses initially. The authorities also plan on allowing chartered buses on the corridor later on.
During rush hours, the buses take about 45 minutes to cover the ditance from MTNL Junction to Kalanagar Junction. This dedicated lane will help buses ply faster and therefore improve frequency.
Six more such dedicated bus lanes are expected to open on busy city roads by year end.
Status of proposed corridors:
1. From Haji Ali to NSCI or extended upto Worli Naka- Expected by August.
2. On Western Express Highway between Jay-coach in Jogeshwari and Borivli- Expected by August.
3. From Suman Nagar to Sion- Expected by August.
4. On Ghatkopar-Mankhurd Link Road- Expected by year end.
5. From Oshiwara to Malvani Mith Chowky- Expected by year end.
6. On Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road- Expected by year end.