Major fire breaks out at Rolta Company building in Andheri MIDC

Major fire breaks out at Rolta Company building in Andheri MIDC
The fire call was escalated to Level-III at 12:24 pm and at least eight fire engines and six jumbo tankers are currently engaged in dousing the flames (Picture Courtesy: Kiran Joshi)

A major fire broke out in a commercial building in Mumbai’s Andheri MIDC area on Thursday afternoon.

According to officials, the fire broke out around noon at Rolta Company building, located inside Rolta Technology Park on 22nd Street in Andheri MIDC, Marol.

A team from Mumbai Fire Brigade arrived on the spot minutes after being alerted about the mishap. Due to the severity of the blaze, the fire call was escalated to Level-III at 12:24 pm and more personnel and equipment were deployed on-site.

“The fire is confined to the server room on the second floor of the ground plus three-storey commercial structure. Dense smoke has engulfed the structure and the staircase,” fire brigade chief P.S Rahangdale said.

“Four fire fighting jets are in operation donning Breathing Apparatus Set as heavy smoke has filled the entire premises. Simultaneously search operation is on for any trapped persons,” he added.

At least eight fire engines and six jumbo tankers have been pressed into service and fire fighting is underway as of 1 pm.

No injuries reported till now. Further details, including the cause of fire, are awaited.


Update:

2:30 pm

* Fire call escalated to Level-IV at 1:50 pm
* 11 fire engines, 9 jumbo tankers working on dousing flames
* Situation escalating due to lack of ventilation in building
* Firemen facing difficulty in operation due to intense heat and dense smoke

– Chief Fire Officer P.S Rahangdale

3:15 pm

“Because of the aluminium cladding and glass facade, there is no ventilation and situation is still grave. Fireman are battling the fire from inside as well as outside using special appliances and donning breathing apparatus sets,” P.S Rahangdale.


The incident comes a day after nine persons were injured in a fire caused due to a cylinder blast in Kandivali.

Back to latest news