50 kids hospitalized after eating food served by Box8 at IIMUN conference in Bandra
The mock UN conference organized by IIMUN on Thursday took a disastrous turn when 50 kids had to be admitted to the hospital after they complained of gastrointestinal problems.
The Indian International Model United Nations (IIMUN) had organized the mock UN conference at Thadomal Shahani College, Bandra (W) and invited kids from various schools to participate. The organizers had charged Rs. 1500 as registration fees for the conference, which included the day’s lunch.
The organizers had tied up with popular food startup Box8, which is renowned for it’s all-in-1 meals, for the lunch.
After the lunch was served, many students and teachers gave the rajma-chawal a miss because they thought it smelled stale.
The ones who went ahead and consumed it, quickly started complaining about gastrointestinal problems and vomiting in the premises. Within a span of 30 minutes, the entire premises was filled with children showing signs of food poisoning.
The children, including someone from the organizing team, were rushed to nearby hospitals. Around 150 kids complained about feeling uneasy, but only a few were admitted to the hospital. The exact number is still being determined since only a few have been asked to stay overnight. The kids were admitted to either Holy Cross, Lilavati or Hinduja Hospitals.
Other than Bandra, the organizers had arranged the conference at 3 other locations across Mumbai (KC College in Churchgate, Lala Lajpatrai College in Tardeo and Whistling Woods College in Goregaon) where the same food was served and similar complaints were made. Although no one has been reported ‘critical’ till now, it is believed that over 50 kids had to be admitted to hospitals across the city including Jaslok, Breach Candy and Bhatiya Hospitals. The conference was attended by over 6000 students.
Mr. Roshan, a parent of one of the kids who attended the conference, said “Around 150 kids, including my son, ate and started puking. Within 30 minutes, there was puke all over the building. Kids were shifted by teachers to the hospitals”. Mr Roshan’s kid, along with 2 others, were admitted to Lilavati Hospital. His kid has been discharged already.
Mr. Roshan also took to Twitter to vent out his frustration. Although the social media team of Box8 tried to make contact with Mr. Roshan, he was still fuming over the incident and choose not to oblige.
While talking to Local Press Co, Mr. Roshan exclaimed that, “Box8 must be penalized and banned”.
Although an attempt was made to reach out the Box8 team around 11:30 PM, we couldn’t get a response since it was beyond their working hours. However, as an when we do get an official response from the Box8 team, we will update the report with the same.
Rishabh Shah, Founder of IIMUN, has blamed Box8 for the negligence and demanded action against them. He claimed that the food, instead of being made at the four centers as promised, was made in Thane and sent to the venues.
Apart from Mr. Roshan, two more parents took to Twitter to spread awareness about the incident.
Mumbai Children had a bad day at #IIMUN -16 . Lot of them were hospitalised due to food poisoning, my child was one of the participants too.
— Jharna (@jsjumaani) April 14, 2016
‘Box 8’ food caused food poisoning during IIMUN (IIMUN=17) function today at Bandra; many school students incl my daughter
— Sanjay B Jumaani (@sanjaybjumaani) April 14, 2016
Others too joined in to show their support and demand strict action against Box8.
— Gaurang Bhatt (@gaurangb) April 14, 2016
— Archie (@Archu243) April 14, 2016
— Carina Sharon Xavier (@carinaxavier31) April 14, 2016
Update (11:30 PM):
Mumbai Police is in the process of registering an FIR against Box8.
@ParulKanse FIR is being registered in Khar, Tardeo and Marine Drive Police Stations.
— Mumbai Police (@MumbaiPolice) April 14, 2016
Update (April 15, 9 AM): Mumbai Police has registered the FIR and is currently investigating the case.