Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Saturday, around 65 parents approached the Dindoshi police to register an FIR against two agents who issued them fake income certificates.
2. The parents were trying to get their children admitted into one of the five ICSE-board schools run by the Goenka Education Trust in Goregaon East through reservations for the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS). According to RTE Act, 25 percent of the seats in schools are reserved for children belonging to EWS.
3. Thus, in order to prove their legibility, the parents from E-ward slums sought the help of the agents. The unidentified agents assured parents that they will issue the income certificates in a couple of days as opposed to 15-20 days required for the official process. The parents fell for the trap and paid Rs 3000 to obtain the certificate.
4. However, when the school authorities sent the income certificates for verification to the tehsildar, he informed the school that the certificates were forged. Post which, the schools rejected the admission applications.
5. Subsequently, the parents realized they had been duped and registered an FIR. Dindoshi police are currently probing into the matter.Back to latest news