Imposters posing as IT officers held for duping Varun Dhawan, Shraddha Kapoor
Local press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The Mumbai Crime Branch arrested two men posing as officers from the Income Tax (I-T) department and the Department of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) for duping Bollywood celebrities.
2. The imposter duo, identified as Murali Mundhera and Mahesh Khetwani were arrested last week after a complaint was filed against them with the Anti-Extortion Cell by a Bollywood producer.
3. During the interrogation, the accused revealed that they had extorted money from young actors like Varun Dhawan, Sharaddha Kapoor and Tiger Shroff by threatening to arrest them for Income Tax related offences.
4. According to an Indian Express report, Mundhera and Khetwani have duped these actors to the tune of Rs 35,000 to Rs 75,000. Mundhera claimed that he used to approach the victims and threaten to drag them in Income Tax cases. In exchange of money he would assure them of upholding the impending raids against them.
5. The Crime Branch is still investigating the case and further probe is on for confirming the revelations made by the imposters.