Plan to install elevators on Harbour Line stations receives flak from commuters
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation’s (MRVC) plan of installing elevators across stations along the Harbour Line has met with an opposition from the masses.
2. The MRVC, who is in charge for planning and development of the railways, had plans to install a total of 13 lifts across the Harbour and Trans Harbour Lines.
3. According to the proposal, Kings Circle, Wadala and Chembur were set to get three elevators each, while Markhurd and Reay Road stations two each and Dockyard Road was supposed to get one.
4. But these plans have drawn flak from public who have argued that the Harbour Line isn’t as populous as Western or Central Lines. Thus, the Rs. 3.86 crore which the MRVC will spend on the installation work will not be justified.
5. Additionally, commuters prefer using escalators over elevators. A commuter stated that though CST station is equipped with escalators as well as elevators, most commuters, including the physically disabled ones, rarely ever make use of the elevators.