Rooftop commuter electrocuted at Andheri station, Western line services affected

Rooftop commuter electrocuted at Andheri station, Western line services affected
Picture Courtesy: Ravish Sharma

On Thursday evening, the Western line services came to a standstill after a commuter got electrocuted at Andheri station.

The incident occurred around 6 pm, when a railway commuter who was sitting on top of the roof got electrocuted after coming in contact with the overhead wire at Andheri station.

The commuter was sitting atop the motorman cabin of a Borivali-bound fast local, which had halted at Platform Number 4.

The incident caused a major scare among other commuters, owing to the massive smoke and fire that engulfed the entire platform. Apart from the rooftop commuter, no other casualties were reported.

As of 7 pm, all north-bound fast trains on the Western line are running late by around 20-40 minutes.

Hundreds of passengers stranded at Andheri station have resorted to taking the slow locals, or have left the station.

Details regarding the identity of the deceased commuter is awaited.

No official announcement has been made by Western railway authorities as of 7 pm.

Further details awaited.

Update (7:15 pm): WR announces delay in trains due to technical problems. To ETA yet.

Update (7:23 pm): WR issues statement saying, “A roof top traveler got electrocuted at Andheri at 18 hrs.Power block of 35 mins had to be taken for rescue.Trains delayed by 10-15 mins.”

Update (9 pm): WR services have started returning to normalcy.

Back to latest news