Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. A 16-year-old girl eloped with her boyfriend and best friend after watching and getting inspired from the Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’.
2. According to a Mid-Day report, after watching Sairat at Thakur mall in Borivali on May 27, she called her boyfriend, who works at a butcher’s shop, and pressurized him to elope with her. Her 14-year-old best friend, who also got inspired by the lead couple’s friends in the movie, decided to help her friend and agreed to flee with them.
3. The girl’s parents lodged a missing complaint in Kasturba Marg police after discovering that their daughter had not returned from the movie even after hours. During investigation, cops found out that a 20-year-old boy had also gone missing from the same locality.
4. Police officers started tracing the duo’s mobile phones and managed to pinpoint their location to a train enroute Uttar Pradesh (UP). Investigation also revealed that even the boy belonged to a village named Basti in UP. Later, the girl was rescued from her boyfriend’s home in UP on Sunday.
5. The girl and her friend have been sent to the observation home as they are minors. Meanwhile, the youth has been booked under Sections 363 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) of the Indian Penal Code and Sections 4 and 12 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
Note: ‘Sairat’ follows the story of Parshya, a low-caste young boy, and Archie, a daughter of a rich upper caste landlord, who fall in love despite opposition from society. When their relationship is discovered, the couple is faced with violence and many challenges before they choose to leave for the city.Back to latest news