Security stepped in Mumbai ahead of Ayodhya case verdict
Ahead of the Supreme Court’s verdict in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land (Ayodhya) dispute case, Mumbai Police have stepped up security in the city and increased vigilance on social media activities.
Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi is expected to deliver the verdict in the case before his retirement on November 17.
According to officials, prohibitory orders are already in place and no celebration or mourning with respect to the judgement will be allowed in the city, which witnessed communal riots after the demolition of the Babri Masjid in December 1992.
Earlier this week, Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjay Barve held a meeting with some prominent members of the Muslim community, including journalists and spiritual leaders, and appealed to them to accept the apex court’s verdict.
“Elaborate security arrangements are being made with extra precautions in sensitive areas. As this will be the verdict of the apex court, every person should accept it as a citizen of the country and not as any community member,” an official said on Tuesday.
As part of the security measures, the police have imposed prohibitory orders from November 4 to 18, restricting any unlawful assembly of people.
“No celebration or mourning by any community or group will be allowed in the city after the judgement,” he said.
Officials from the cyber cell are also monitoring activities on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram, and other such platforms and strict action will be taken against those who post objectionable content, hurting sentiments of any community.
Citizens have also been urged not to believe in rumours and alert the police if they come across any such kind of talks.