Thane police names Mamta Kulkarni as accused in Rs 2000 crore drug racket, to be brought to India for trial
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. In a major breakthrough, Thane police, on Saturday, named former Bollywood actress Mamta Kulkarni as accused for her alleged involvement in the country’s biggest drug bust.
2. Kulkarni and alleged husband Vicky Goswami were involved in the Rs 2000 crore international drug racket that involved smuggling of Ephedrine to manufacture narcotics. The couple are suspected to be in Kenya.
3. Police claims that since Goswani was already facing two drug related charges in Kenya, Kulkarni was handling the trade on his behalf. Goswani is currently out on bail and the couple are believed to be the masterminds behind the racket.
4. In April, police had seized almost 20 tonnes of Ephedrine from the Solapur unit of a pharmaceutical firm, Avon Lifesciences Limited. The company had permission to manufacture the controlled substance, Ephedrine, for medicinal purpose, but was illegally sending large quantities to the drug cartel.
5. Thane police claim that Goswami heads the cartel and uses the Ephedrine to manufacture Methamphetamine and supply it to US, Latin America and African countries. Cops have arrested 10 people in connection with the drug bust till now. They are now in the process of issuing a Red Corner Notice to get Kulkarni back to India where she will face trial.