16 students fall ill after consuming food served in Bhandup school

16 students fall ill after consuming food served in Bhandup school
Mulund MLA Sardar Tara Singh visited M.T Agrawal Hospital, where the students were undergoing treatment

At least 16 students and a staff member of a private school in Mumbai’s Bhandup area were hospitalised on Thursday due to suspected food poisoning.

According to a civic official, the Class 7 students and the staff member ate dal khichdi served to them at the Sahyadri Vidya Mandir in suburban Bhandup following which they complained of stomachache.

They were admitted to M.T Agrawal Hospital in Mulund, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) official said.

The students – 12 girls and four boys – and the school staffer were responding to the treatment and will be kept under observation for 24 hours, a doctor attending them said.

“The incident sparked panic among parents and students initially. However, all students are in a stable condition now,” said Dr. Archana Bhalerao, president of the BMC health committee.

Food poisoning is suspected to be the cause of the illness, the civic official said, adding that an inquiry would be conducted into the matter.

Meanwhile, police have sent food samples to the FDA for testing.

The incident comes less than a week after a girl student of a civic-run school in Govandi area died while over 400 other students were hospitalised due to suspected poisoning after they took iron-boosting medicines given by the school.

View Realtime Updates