CCTV cameras in trains will not prevent crimes against women
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Earlier this year, Railway authorities announced the decision to install CCTV cameras in all ladies coaches of Mumbai’s suburban trains in a bid to ensure women safety.
2. The decision to install CCTV cameras was unanimously lauded by commuters and both Central & Western railways diligently began the installation work.
3. However, according to a Free Press Journal report, the cameras will not be used for live monitoring for at least one year. The CCTV footage will simply be used for post-incident investigation.
4. While the railway’s decision to start live monitoring after a year might be justified operationally, it does defeat the purpose of ‘preventing’ crimes against women.
5. Therefore, for at least one year, the railways are relying on cameras acting as either a deterrent or for bringing the culprits to justice.