MMRDA gets land for 2 upcoming metro lines
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. The development plan of the Metro 2A and Metro 7 will continue as planned now that the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has managed to secure land for building their respective car depots.
2. MMRDA has offered Airport Authority of India (AAI) land in Gorai in exchange for their land in Dahisar. The 17-hectare Dahisar land will be utilized for the construction of the depot for the 18 km Dahisar-Andheri Metro 7 line.
3. As for the Dahisar-DN Nagar Metro 2 line, MMRDA has decided to drop its plan of securing private land belonging to Manjra trust in Charkop and instead will use land under its own jurisdiction.
4. Both metro lines will pass through areas that have poor rail connectivity like Charkop, IC colony in Borivali and Lokhandwala. The deadline for the completion of both projects is 2019.
5. MMRDA has facing a tough time finding land for the depots due to the scarcity of land in the city and environmental factors. The Colaba-Bandra-Seepz Metro 3, for example, is still stuck because of the strong opposition by environmental activists and citizens to building a depot inside Aarey colony.