Photographer kicked, punched by women footballers during local match
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. Furious over team’s suspension from the Maharashtra state inter-district women’s football tournament, some players from the Thane District Football Association assaulted photographer Pushpak Shirwadkar who was covering the match on Monday.
2. The team was suspended earlier in the day by the organising committee because they had ineligible players playing from the team in the match against Dhule. A few players belonged to Mumbai District FA and the tournament rules clearly stated that the players of the participating DFA (District Football Association) should be registered players from the concerned districts.
3. After Thane got disqualified, the OC requested the third team Dhule to play against Nagpur.
4. Just when the match between the two teams was about to start, one of the Thane player objected to the presence of photographer Shirwadkar and questioned him as to why he was taking photos. She was then joined by some of her co-players, who then abused the photographer and also kicked and punched him.
5. The organisers immediately called the police who came from the Azad Maidan police station. The cops took the players, photographer to the station for questioning.