Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. On Sunday, a hacker group gained access to Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s Twitter (@finkd) and Pinterest (@zuck) accounts.
2. The owner of the world’s biggest social network, understandably, has accounts on rival social media platforms as well. Although his accounts aren’t active, he has more than a few thousand followers on each of them.
3. The incident came to light after the hacker group ‘OurMine Team’ gained access to his Twitter account and posted a message that read, “Hey @finkd we got access to your Twitter & Instagram & Pinterest, we are just testing your security, please dm us”. Although the group also claimed to have hacked into Zuckerberg’s Instagram account, which incidentally is owned by Facebook, officials confirmed that the account was never compromised.
4. The hackers reportedly gained access to Zuckerberg’s account after securing his LinkedIn username and password combination from 2012 LinkedIn hack. A report last month claimed that over 117 million account credentials were stolen during the hack and are currently being sold on the dark web. It is likely that the Facebook CEO used same password for LinkedIn, ‘dadada’, that he did for his other social media accounts, thereby allowing hackers easy access.
5. Within a few hours, Twitter team suspended Zuckerberg’s account, deleted the offensive tweets and brought it back online. Pinterest, on the other hand, hasn’t taken any action. Meanwhile, now might be a good time to change your LinkedIn password if you haven’t in recent times.
Back to latest news
Ouch. Mark Zuckerberg’s social media accounts have been hacked pic.twitter.com/KvVmXOIg5s
— Ben Hall (@Ben_Hall) June 5, 2016