Video: Man’s cell phone explodes in pocket while eating at Bhandup restaurant
In a shocking incident, a man’s mobile phone exploded in his pocket while he was having lunch at a restaurant in Mumbai’s Bhandup area earlier this week.
The incident, which reportedly took place around 1:50 pm on June 4 at Bageecha Restaurant in Bhandup’s Naik Wadi area, was captured on a CCTV camera installed in the premises.
The footage shows the man, who was having his lunch at the eatery, getting up suddenly and putting his phone out of his shirt’s pocket as smoke starts billowing out of the device.
The incident also created panic among others present at the spot. While some rushed to a safe distance, others left the restaurant altogether.
The man, whose identity is not known, also sustained minor injuries due to the explosion and was later admitted to the hospital. He is out of danger.
In a similar incident, an 18-year-old lost her life after her cell phone exploded while she was talking to someone in March this year.
The victim, identified as Uma Oram, was reportedly talking on the phone while it was being charged. Oram sustained major injuries after the batter exploded. She was declared brought dead at the hospital.
The victim, Sunil Kante, told Financial Express that the phone which exploded was a Samsung Note II that was earlier being used by his wife. However, it is not known if the battery that exploded was of Samsung or a local one.
Following the incident, Kante collected the phone and gave it to a Samsung service centre in Ghatkopar.
When contacted, Samsung told the daily that they just learnt about the mishap and were looking into it. No police complaint has been filed in the matter as of Wednesday evening.
The South Korean manufacturer had faced a major setback last year after it was forced to recall millions of Galaxy Note 7 devices due to overheating problems that caused their batteries to explode.