Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. A recent RTI query has revealed that even after receiving crores of rupees from the Centre, the Maharashtra government has not spent even a single penny to build new shelters for the homeless in Mumbai.
2. As per the guidelines laid down by the National Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM), construction of a permanent community shelter for every one lakh population has been made mandatory by the government.
3. The Hindu has quoted Bilal Khan of Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan (GBGBA) as saying, “Mumbai has a population of 12,442,373 as per 2011 Census and as per the guidelines, at least 124 community shelters were required to be constructed. But, my RTI query revealed that no new night shelters have been build by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai as per the NULM guidelines.”
4. GNGBA, led by social activist Medha Patkar has also released an affidavit filed by Under Secretary to the Government of India, which stated that a total amount of Rs 15,272.72 lakh has been allocated to the Maharashtra government by the Centre in the current fiscal year to construct permanent shelters, but the state has not spent any of it for the impending project.
5. Bilal Khan, who plans to file an affidavit in the Supreme court in August related to the matter, also urges Devendra Fadnavis- led Maharashtra government to look into the matter and provide shelter to the needy in Mumbai at the earliest.Back to latest news