Muhammad Ali was an eminent sports personality of ‘Kerala’, says state’s sports minister
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. At a time when the world was mourning the demise of boxing legend Muhammad Ali, Kerela’s sports minister, E P Jayarajan, messed up his tribute to the former world heavyweight champion.
2. On Saturday, when Jayarajan was asked about his reaction to the legendary boxer ‘s death by a Malayalam news anchor, he said, “I just came to know that Muhammad Ali breathed his last in America. He was a great sportsman from Kerala. He brought fame to the state by winning a gold medal.”
3. He continued his erroneous statement by adding, “Ali was an eminent sports personality of Kerala and is one who has won a gold medal thereby raising Kerala’s position in the world.”
4. It was the anchor’s presence of mind that made her cut the audio in the middle of the conversation to avoid controversy. But the news soon spread like wildfire and netizens were quick to slam the minister on social media.
5. Jayarajan was even compared to US Republican Nominee Donald Trump who has a reputation of making statements without knowing the facts.