Railways installing ‘panic button’ in ladies coach of Mumbai’s local trains
Local Press Co 5-point Snippet
1. In a bid to make train travel safer for female commuters, Railways has decided to install a ‘panic button’ inside Mumbai’s local trains.
2. Matunga workshop has designed the emergency alarm system, also referred to as the ‘panic button’, for installation in ladies compartments of city’s suburban train system.
3. The system will be installed in all ladies compartments of one rake running on Central railway line on a trial basis.
4. The alarm system comprises of a physical red button which will be installed between two seats of the ladies coach. In case of an emergency, once the commuter presses the button, it will send a audio-video notification on the flasher units provided outside the coach.
5. The emergency notification will be visible to passersby, railway staff and the train crew. The system will also include a reset button.